Our contact details
Name: Extradition Lawyers’ Association
Address: ELA Secretary, Celia Marr, Mishcon de Reya LLP, Africa House, 70 Kingsway, London WC2B 6AH
Phone Number: +44 20 3321 7000
“DPL” means the applicable Data Protection Laws, which include the UK GDPR, the EU GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018.
“Personal data” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person; an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly.
The type of personal data we collect
We currently collect and process the following types of information:
- Personal identifiers, contacts and characteristics (for example, name and contact details)
- Customer financial information
- Emails sent to and from members
- Delegate / event attendee lists
How we get the personal data and why we have it
Most of the personal data we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- Membership of our Association to access resources and events.
We use the information that you have given us in order to contact you about resources and events and to share/gain professional insight.
We need this information to maintain administrative and accounting records in good order. Your information will not otherwise be shared unless we have your written permission or request to do so (for networking purposes, for example).
Under the DPL, the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
- Your consent. You are able to remove your consent at any time. You can do this by contacting the Secretary of the Association;
- (in the case of membership applications and payments) it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the you are party or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract;
- ELA legitimate interests, and those of our members, in providing services for professional and personal development and information in accordance with ELA Constitutional objectives (and we have assessed that those legitimate interests are not overridden by the interests, rights and freedoms of those whose data is processed).
How we store your personal information
Your information is securely digitally stored.
We keep personal data and associated customer financial information for the period of membership and for up to 5 years’ thereafter. We will then dispose of your information through permanent deletion of all digital files. Hard copy files are not maintained.
International transfer of personal data
Where we need to transfer personal data out of the UK (which will only be in the limited case where we need to communicate with overseas members) and the recipient is not in a country in receipt of an adequacy decision under the DPL, we will do so on the basis of the derogation in the DPL applying where the data subject has consented.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to object to processing – You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to data portability – You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at email@example.com or write to ELA Secretary, Celia Marr, Mishcon de Reya LLP, Africa House, 70 Kingsway, London WC2B 6AH, if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us through Celia Marr, ELA Secretary, Mishcon de Reya LLP, Africa House, 70 Kingsway, London WC2B 6AH.
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk